Search Fancy-free Crafts Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Shirt throw pillow

This one turned out very cute and was a pretty straight forward gift idea.

I purchased a square throw pillow form (literally a square of stuffing for a pillow) from Walmart for $7. I also picked up an old flannel plaid shirt from the thrift store for $5 and bam, those were all the supplies required!



Where I went wrong is that I purchase a small woman's shirt. The small barely had enough fabric to cover the face of the pillow. In addition, women's tailored dress shirts have so many darts in them, I spent a ridiculous amount of time picking all the darts out. With the darts in, the shirt wouldn't lie flat and was floppy (cause, you know, boobs). To save yourself the extra work, purchase a men's shirt in a large enough size so you have ample fabric to work with.

My pattern recommended picking off the shirt collar and cuffs and hand sewing them to the face of the pillow for extra decoration. The collar was a nice touch but the cuffs were just way too much effort (picking them off, sewing up the open hem bottom, hand stitching them onto the pillow face.)

Overall, I will probably make another for myself. This is also a great way to upcycle old sweaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment