Search Fancy-free Crafts Blog

Monday, August 24, 2015

Mama and baby bunny plushies

A bit time consuming, but these little cotton tails turned out well. I'm in love with their puffy, lace tails and floppy ears.

Family shot

At the thrift store, I found some scraps with thick floral patterns that I used for these two rabbits. The instructions said to use thick, tightly woven fabric. I think it might have been leftover upholstery fabric? I've got a nagging fear that the seams may fray as the fabric wasn't double stitched or zig-zagged. I clipped the hems with pinking shears to minimize the risk of fraying though.

The mother bunny measures 9 inches long, while the completed baby bunny measures 6 inches long.

Upon seeing the half completed bunny, he uttered his fateful denial - "I didn't do that to him!"

The most awkward step was attaching the finished head to the stuffed body. The instructions required stay stitching a hem by hand around the open neck hole on the body and around the joining portion of the head. I didn't do this for the baby bunny at first, but it proved too difficult to attach the head as there was no stiffness or strength in body. The fraying was also excessive. Stay stitching solved both these problems. And then I had to hand-sew the raw edges under and then whipstitch the head to the body. That's a lot of work just to stick a head on a body!

Mama rabbit

And of course, I didn't consider until now that the tails and eyes can be pulled off easily by an inquisitive toddler. They're presents for a young child, so I suppose they'll be sitting on a shelf for a few years until the "it's such fun to chomp on baby bunny's easily-swallowed button eyeballs" phase has passed.

Leaf-patterned baby bunny.

And one last photo of gratuitous frilly bunny derrieres.

Bunny butts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment