Search Fancy-free Crafts Blog

Monday, August 24, 2015

Applewood ladder

If there are people out there who neatly hang their clothes back in their closets at the end of every day, this post is not for you.



I believe I have found a classy solution for being too lazy to put away once-worn, still-clean clothing - which doesn't involve dumping it on the floor. To fully appreciate the genius of this idea, I take you back to my childhood.

My father had an old wooden chair in his room where he would neatly drape his clothing for a day or so before he would hang it back up in my parent's shared walk-in closet. I was always jealous of his chair and my father's right to leave clothes lying around. Why wasn't I allowed to have a one?

I had to settle for dumping my school uniform in a corner and hiding the clothes every night by burying them under the plethora of throw cushions from my bed. My parents got wise to that pretty quick.

And theoretically as an adult I could leave my clothes on the floor if I wanted. But the reasons against stack up quickly. The clothing gets wrinkled and who gets to iron them again? Me! Clothing is very good for attracting dust bunnies. It also provides a nice habitat for bed bugs.

So when I was shopping at an antique market a few weeks back and saw a beautiful old applewood ladder, I had a eureka moment. I've seen these rustic ladders used in magazines to display towels, magazines and quilts. But my ladder is destined for a less dignified function.




It's beautiful though. The wood smells dark and fruity. It has square rungs and the frame is gently tapered at the top. The seller re-varnished it, but kept all of the original tool marks and wear. Totally worth the investment.

And thank you for joining me in a psycho-analysis session about laundry routines and clothes folding.

No comments:

Post a Comment